Sermon Audio & Review
Pastor Steve Sindelar
- Category: Holidays & Special Services
- December 31, 2023
Being In Christ Jesus.
Outside of the Lord Jesus Christ, there isn’t much for a Christian to boast about. Therefore, there is no greater expression of the Christian life than the words in verse 30: "it is due to Him that you are in Christ Jesus." The phrase "in Christ Jesus" is repeated in the beginning of many of Paul’s letters. The phrase can become commonplace and lose the depth behind these familiar words. However, they underpin the several doctrines of the Christian faith.
We will discuss 4 areas or proofs of whether you are in the Lord Jesus Christ.
We are not able to rescue ourselves. Our Savior is not another man or organization. Only God the Father can rescue anyone from the domain of darkness. Sometimes people don’t want to be rescued or even see a need for it. But the darkness is death and the absence of God. Jesus Christ, the Son, brought us out of our sins. If you are in Christ, you have spiritual life. You are a new creature that cannot exist in the domain of darkness.
Sonship is the concept of being a child of God. You are an heir to the Father of heaven. We are His and He is ours, just like Jesus. We have a position with God that gives us priority in the Father’s affections. He cares for and comforts us through all the situations in life. We have a tender relationship with the Father.
This is the practice of being in Jesus Christ. It is our response to being in Christ, but also a challenge. Israel’s worship differed from ours today. Many of their practices had limitations which we do not have in Christ. Because of Christ, we have freedom and great access to God the Father.
You and I were strangers and aliens to God before Jesus Christ; we did not belong in God’s house. Religion says to sacrifice again and again, but the only true requirement is to be in Christ Jesus. We have unparalleled access to God.
Those who are in Christ Jesus must continue to look and speak more like Jesus. We should live in Him, bearing the fruits of the Spirit. This isn’t about perfect, but there should be progress in our daily Christian walk.
Salvation, sonship, worship, and sanctification are not merely doctrines; they are things we must practice. Does your life show that you are in Jesus Christ? If you are at home, at work, or somewhere else, does your life show your Christian identity? Here are ways to help us not get too familiar with the common words of “in Christ Jesus”:
- If you are a new creature in Christ, you should be active in certain disciplines. The first is breathing in God’s Word. Are you reading God’s Word? You should be active in prayer. Are you making time to pray daily? You should be regularly attending a local church. Are you in the body, the Church?
- In 2024, look for ways to show the family values of being in the family of God. Don’t get caught up in the world’s ways; instead, show others God’s ways.
- We are privileged to worship God in the way that we do. Do not take for granted our freedom to worship God. Fathers, lead your families to worship God. If you are single, adopt a family to encourage in worship. Single moms, lead your family in how to worship. Let’s take time in this busy world to prioritize worship.
Tools for Further Study
Cross References to Explore:
- Ephesians 1:1
- Philippians 1:1
- Colossians 1:1
- Thessalonians 1:1
- Colossians 1:13-14 - transferred into the kingdom
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Galatians 4:4 - adoption into sonship
- Ephesians 2:18
- Colossians 2
- Galatians 5:22-25 - fruits of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 6:18-19 - don’t walk in the flesh